You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Post-Festival Crash

In a perfect world or at least one where I'm not working 1.5 full time jobs in addition to trying to make a go of this pottery thing, I would have written a blog post BEFORE the show.  Alas, that is not the world that I live in right now.

The Carolina Pottery Festival was yesterday.  If you have never been to this pottery show, you should make plans for next year.  It will be the first Saturday in November, and it is worth making the trip.  Amazing pottery everywhere you look in the beautiful LeGrand Center in Shelby.  As far as I could tell, everything went really well.  Here are some shots of my booth.





A few years ago, I was asked to join the board of directors for this show.  I have the privilege of working with Bobbie Black, Vicki Gill, Hal Dedmon, Vicki Halloran, John King, Robert Martin and Ronnie Blackburn.  They are wonderful people - every one of them.  We started at about 10:30 on Friday and worked hard to get things ready for all the potters.  I am also grateful to our spouses and friends who jump right in and help out where they can.  If I try to mention everyone by name, I'll leave someone out.  Y'all do need to know that my friend Heather has flown to NC from California the last two years to help us with set up.  I am a lucky, lucky girl.

Speaking of lucky, my birthday was Friday.  Normally I try to keep that on the down low.  I really don't like people to make a fuss.  Well, somehow word got out and a fuss was made.  They had a cake for me when we went to lunch.  There was singing. I think everyone in the restaurant joined in. Very touching.  Here's a picture of my cake.  You will notice that it was appropriately chocolate.  It was also delicious.

Today is recovery day.  So far, I've unpacked and repacked boxes of pots. I've returned the shelves to the storage closet at the studio and the empty boxes, the chairs, and other stuff to the utility building here at the house. I am now very ready for a nap.  So tired.  Honestly how can I be this tired?  

In a few minutes, I'm going in to town to put pots out.  Some will go to Buffalo Creek Gallery.  (Our Holiday Open House is Thursday, Nov 10. There will be food.  There will be art.  There will be charming artists to meet.)  Some of the pots will go back in the gallery at A Griffin Pottery Associates. (We are open this fall Tuesday - 12-4 pm, Thursday - 12-6 pm, Friday - 1:30-5 pm, and Saturday - 10am to 2 pm.)  You can still get a very nice Susan Jones Pottery original if you didn't get to come to the LeGrand Center yesterday.  

After lunch I'm headed out to Ron Philbeck's to unload the kiln. You can expect more pictures of those things soon. 

I might need a recovery day to recover from my recover day.  Did I mention that I am exhausted?  

No comments:

Post a Comment