You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Felt Like A Busy Week

I'm not normally in the studio on Tuesday evenings, but this week I had about an hour to kill between leaving work and a meeting for Buffalo Creek Gallery.  I thought to myself, let's see if I can make something.  The answer was yes, but I should have stopped at one of the somethings.  I was late to the gallery meeting and I had clay all up my arm when I got there.  Oh well.  It is a forgiving bunch.

I'm working on using leaves while I have them.


Thursday, I took all the cone 10 pieces that Allen had put aside for soda firing along with the things that I made over to Ron Philbeck's to get started on glazing.  I've mentioned before what a nice guy Ron is, but I should say it again.  He's been really wonderful and supportive of me - always answering my questions and offering advice when needed.  He basically let me take over his studio space to get everything glazed and ready to go. 
 Here's everything before I glazed...

 
...and after. 

Well, except for two pieces that I messed up so badly that I just had to wash it all off.
Here is the first of those boo-boo pieces sitting outside in the sun in the hopes that it would dry enough to glaze (again) before I left. Didn't work, so I'll have to glaze those two things when I go back to help with the wadding.  Pictures of that later. 

I got to unload the kiln yesterday! Usually someone else gets to it before I do.


Here are some of my pieces...

Three large trays.  There are 2 more of these waiting to be fired. They have been selling well this fall.  I can't seem to keep them "in stock."

Napkin holders.  I made these because I broke my sister-in-law Kelsey's when I was at her house last month.  She gets first pick, then the others will be for sale.

Here are the cups that I made to be like the one my Mom brought me from France.  What I learned is that I like the lighter colored glazes better on this kind of thing.  Also the first one that I used (test drinking occurred last night) was just a bit too big to be comfortable in my hand. Will also try out the others and make notes for myself on what to do next time.  Question: would you want a cup like this?  Could be a stemless wine glass or really a cup for drinking anything I suppose.
Here's a picture of the one that I tried out last night next to the one I "copied."  I need to work on slightly smaller size and less curve at the top.  Oh yeah - better carving too.  I am not good at carving.  This is why I almost never do it.

Eight mugs.  Four each in two similar brownish red colors.  Guess which one I like best.

Tried out some different things to make into ornaments. Not wild about any of these.

Smallish blue platter.

A couple of good sized casseroles.

Some bowls.

Made some mugs on Friday.

Put handles on them on Saturday. Eight are for Hannah at Hannah's Coffee House and four are for me.

Trying some new things for Christmas ornaments.  These are also for Hannah. It was a Hannah kind of day.  In addition to this, I made some small bowls that she might like.  Somehow, I didn't get a picture of the bowls.  I think I was pretty much exhausted by that point today.  

OK, I see why it felt like a busy week.  It WAS a busy week. I'm going to go fall asleep in my recliner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment