You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Last Week

ON MONDAY: Someone had already unloaded the kiln when I stopped by on Monday afternoon.  Here are some of the pieces of mine that were in there.  


Correction: That's everything that I brought home.  8 mugs, 3 baking dishes, 1 platter, 3 big bowls, 1 napkin holder, 1 jar with a lid, 1 canister set, and 4 business card holders.  But who's counting, right?  OK.  I'm counting.  I admit it.  I look at this haul and think, "Wow.  That's a lot of work."  Then I get home and I look at the shelves where I store everything and think about how close the Carolina Pottery Festival and holiday shopping season are getting and I think, "What if I run out of things to sell?"  

ON THURSDAY: The Shelby High School homecoming parade was a 4:15 followed by the Uptown Art Walk from 5:30 to 8:30.  I hurried over after work to get my stuff out of the car and set up inside for the art walk before the parade started.  I teach a class of seniors at Shelby High this semester and several of my students were involved in the parade either playing in the band or driving and riding in the parade.  I stood on my corner (That doesn't sound right, does it?) and waved at everybody.  Then I dashed out to get some supper so I didn't pass out from hunger before the end of the night.  

The Art Walk went well I think.  From all reports, there was a pretty good crowd and there were interesting things going on for folks to see.  We had a fair number of visitors at the studio and I had a good time demonstrating for them.  


I stole this picture off the Uptown Shelby Facebook page.  Yours truly sitting at the wheel, Jeff in the blue shirt, Gail Richard showing me a picture on her iPad, and her husband Jamie watching.  Gail is another one of Allen's pottery students.  I am really enjoying getting to know her.  It was almost 9 pm on Thursday night before I was headed home.  A VERY long day for me.  

I was back in the studio on FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.  Friday was mostly finishing up some of the pieces that I started the night before.  I also got started on a couple of pigs.  A few years ago, I made some piggy banks.  Then I had trouble with finding the right size corks for the snouts and ended up with 6 or 8 pigs that have no noses.  Discouraged, I quit making pigs.  

It hit me the other day that perhaps I'd have more luck if I made some pigs to go with the corks that I already have.  So, I'm giving it another whirl.  


Here I've got the pig standing on his nose to have his butt trimmed.  We want a nice, round pig butt if possible.  


Ears, eyes, and tail ready to be attached...There are also some legs somewhere, but the legs aren't funny to look at, so I didn't take a picture.  


This pig is actually still missing his tail because I almost forgot to put it on.  We'll see if the nose fits when I'm all done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment