You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Saturday, October 4, 2014

I loaded another glaze fire today.  Notice that I closed the peeps this time.  Fingers crossed for good results.  I've got a lot of stuff in there.  


Today, I finished the glazing that I'd been working since Thursday evening.  Yes, I did work on it for 3 days.  I had a lot to glaze.  Somebody has made a lot of pots recently.  Let me think...there were 3 baking dishes, two platters, a canister set (3 pieces with lids), 9 mugs, 4 business card holders, and another jar with a lid.  (This is a lot for a part time potter.)  I almost never just use one color, so it takes a while.  

Then I loaded the kiln.  It takes me a long time to load the kiln.  (Anyone sensing a trend here?  I work slowly!)  Imagine a puzzle.  You know that all the pieces are probably not going to fit, but you want to cram in as many as you can.  Oh yeah, the puzzle is 3 dimensional, so not only are you making pieces fit side to side on the shelves, but also figuring out how to put everything on the shelves so that they stack as efficiently as possible.  Nothing can touch; don't put things too close together or too close to the walls; think about airflow.  That's what loading the kiln is like for me.  I always feel a little bit proud when I shut the lid and turn it on.  

I also threw some flower pots.  (See photo below.)  My friend Kim asked me a while ago about making some pots for a new shelf they had just put up in their kitchen window.  I hope I manage to make something that she likes.  I kind of like them so far...



No comments:

Post a Comment