You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Can't Let Go

I did something this weekend that I'd not done before.  I had this cookie jar all packed up and took it to the pottery show on Saturday.  I unpacked it and then couldn't put it out for sale.  Yep, I put it back in the car and  took it home.  I guess I am not ready to let this go yet because I couldn't stand the thought of selling it.  I might have to keep it for myself.  I absolutely LOVE it.

This is a white clay called phoenix and the glaze is called Mexico Point Blue. This piece was fired in a gas kiln at reduction (where the amount of oxygen is reduced at certain points in the firing) probably at cone ten (real hot).  In an electric kiln, where there is no reduction, this clay and glaze combination results in a blue that looks a lot like Carolina blue.  I'm really not a big fan of that particular shade of blue.  At reduction, the clay body turns gray and the glaze ends up looking kind of faded out and antique.  

Our friend (and learned colleague) has sold his gas kiln, so this is the last piece that I will be able to get that looks like this.  Knowing that I'm not going to be able to reproduce it makes it really difficult to let go.  I'm going to have to give some serious thought to whether or not this needs to be in my kitchen permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment