You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, November 25, 2011

Footed Bowl

I realized the other day that I was out of larger bowls.  I hadn't made any bowls in a long time and had almost convinced myself that I didn't really like to make them.  These started with about 4 pounds or 4.5 pounds I think.  It might have even been 5 pounds.  That is a pretty basic bit of information that I should remember, but alas.  

I left a lot of clay in the bottom so that I could trim a big foot on the bottom of the bowl.  Allen has taught me to use a push pin in the bottom to keep from trimming too much clay away.  


Once I cut the bowl off the bat, I centered it on a foam bat so that I could trim it.  


First, I removed clay from the outside edge.  I trimmed in until I had the outside edge of the foot the size that I wanted. 


Next, I removed the clay from the center.  I slowly worked until I felt the push pin that I'd pushed in from the  inside.  That left about a quarter of an inch of clay in the bottom of the bowl.  


After that, I did some cleaning up.  


Then I worked to trim the outside of the bowl.  I had to trim away some of the clay to make the curve look nice coming into the foot.  


The finished bowl. 


I am really happy with how this turned out and I enjoyed making it.  So it turns out that I am better at making bowls than I remembered.  Of course, now that I've said that out loud, the next time I try it won't go as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment