You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Working With Slabs

Here's my latest slab creation.

I get regular emails from Ceramic Arts Network.  Sometimes there are deals on books, sometimes video clips showing helpful how-to's, and sometimes excerpts from articles from publications like Pottery Making Illustrated.  Yesterday's email contained directions to make a tray like this one - all from a single slab of clay.  

I tried it first using an oval pattern that I cut out of newspaper.  It was OK.  Just OK.  I do not love it.


I sure learned a lot though.  Often times, attempt #1 is where I figure out what not to do.  First of all, don't waste time making a paper template when there is a perfectly good oval shaped GR Pottery Form in the studio.  (Use this link to learn more about GR Pottery Forms.)  It's a much nicer shape than what I drew and made a much nicer tray.  Secondly, remember to put the texture in the handles BEFORE lifting them off the table or ware board.  Duh.  The last thing that I learned is that the handles don't need to curve too much.  

After I taught my regular Monday afternoon pottery lesson (from a safe distance across the studio), I made tray number 2.  Here's how it went:

I cut out the oval and transferred it to a newspaper line ware board.  Using a 2 by 4 (because it is what I had), I marked two lines separating the bottom of the tray from the 2 sides.  Then I added the texture to the sides.

Next cut along the lines about 1.5 to 2 inches from the ends.  The center part between those cuts is going to make the handles, so add texture.  Score and slip the four triangular shaped pieces.  Lift the sides off the board.  I used a small piece of wood (thanks, Ronnie) to get a nice, consistent, straight fold along the line I marked.  

Lift the handles off the ware board and fold the triangles behind the handle.  I didn't get a picture of the end at this step, but think about wrapping a gift.  The points of the triangles should either just meet in the center of the handle or should slightly overlap.  Press firmly. 

Curve the handles out.  Not too much.  I fluted the sides too.  This is optional but I like it.  My clay was really soft, so I ended up distorting the sides a little bit as I brought them up.  The fluting camouflages that somewhat and if the piece warps any as it dries or is fired, it will be less noticeable.  

I added 4 small clay "buttons".  Two on the outside of the tray where the triangles of clay come together under the handles and two on the handles at the base of the texture. I used a small stamp (thank you, Gail) to press the buttons to make sure they were attached securely.  

This project is going in my mental file of things to consider for future "clay classes."  It was relatively easy and quick.  I believe that even folks with no experience working with clay could do this with direction and a little assistance.  

Here's another project that is probably going in that same file.  

I didn't get any pictures of the process here, but it is something that I think I could make work for a group.  This takes a slab and some coils.  I rolled the coils by hand for this, but I would definitely use the extruder if I needed enough coils for a group. I still struggle with coils most of the time. 

What I think it really cool about this is that it can be any shape you can imagine.  I like ovals, but squares, rectangles, or circles would all work.  Cut the slab the shape desired.  If you want to put some texture on the rim of the slab, do that and then flip it over so that the texture is down.  Arrange the coil about an inch to inch and a half in from the edge.  Score and slip it and press it down. At this point, flip the piece over so that the coil is under the slab.  If  you added texture, it should be up now.  Using a sponge, press the slab down so that the coil on the bottom defines the "inside" of the tray.  Flute the edges and add handles if you want.  Handles are definitely optional.  

Come to think of it, this idea came from a video from Ceramic Arts Network too.  I watched it years ago and make these free form trays periodically. 


No comments:

Post a Comment