You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, March 20, 2020

Good Bye, Old Friends

Almost four years ago, my friend Allen Griffin died.  Three years, eleven months, and 20 days ago, I said good bye to him in this space.  It was the morning of his memorial service and I could hardly see what I was typing through my tears.  I miss him all the time.  A few weeks ago, I sold the last of his faces at the pottery studio.  "Face jugs" we call them, but Allen's faces weren't always on jugs.  There were watering cans, pitchers, mugs, lamps, and planters. 

These last 2 pieces were lamps.

The gentleman that bought them assured me that they were going to a good home.  He described the newly redecorated bedroom.  The lamps will go on the bedside tables and are going to be perfect there.  I'm happy.  But I'm sad that there aren't any more of Allen's face jugs in the gallery.  

I have been running the studio very much the same way that Allen did, but I am trying out some new things.  Recently a friend of mine asked if she and her husband could come in and make something to celebrate their ninth anniversary.  You know those traditional anniversary gifts?  I didn't know this, but year nine is pottery.  Here's a link to a list I found online: http://www.holidayinsights.com/anniversary/year.htm

She initially asked about a paint your own pottery kind of thing, and I explained that is not what we do at our studio.  I thought about it a little more and suggested that they come in and I would help them make something.  

The first "Clay Date" was a success!  

I had a really good time and I think they did too.  They each made something and picked out a glaze color.  I'll fire the pieces and then they can come pick them up when they are finished.  

I am working on coming up with ideas about other classes that I could offer folks.  I think it would be fun to run a class once a month maybe where we all make a specific thing.  I have been experimenting with some hand building projects that I could use.  I've got to figure out how I can fit a group in the studio so that each person has the necessary tools and work space for the project.  There's a long way to go yet before I can make this fly.  Stay tuned.  


This bird house is one of the projects that might work.


I've also tried a hand built mug and hand built small casserole dish that might be good ideas.  When those pieces are finished, I'll share pictures of them.  


My new replacement apron arrived this week.  (That's the old apron in the picture.) Sure enough.  I don't like it.  It's too long.  The length is OK for now when I'm wearing long pants, but once hot weather gets here and I'm in shorts, it will not be ok.  I don't want people to think that I have on no pants!  Come to think of it, the strings are too long too.  They are probably supposed to wrap around and tie in the front.  I need it to tie in the back.  Ties in the front will get in the clay and be a problem.  I'm really picky.  I know.  

This week has been really strange.  Life as we know it has come to a screeching halt and we have no idea what next week or next month will bring.  I have struggled to find motivation to make things.  Who know how long this will go on?  When it is finally over, will anyone still want hand made mugs or pasta bowls?  I sure hope so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment