You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Rubbing Elbows With Famousness

Last night I had an opportunity to hear Open The Door For Three perform at Dragonfly Wine Market in Shelby.  Not being particularly in tune (ha!) with the Irish music scene, I didn't know what I was seeing when I saw the ads for this concert at first.  Then my dad explained who they are, and what a big deal it is that little old Shelby managed to attract world class musicians. So we went.  And it was awesome.  If you have a chance, check them out.  http://www.openthedoorforthree.com/ 

It's a long story involving his annual trips to what we refer to "Band Camp" (actually Celtic Week at the Swannanoa Gathering at Warren Wilson College).  I'll spare you the long story.  I'm not sure that I'd get it right anyway.  The condensed version of the story is that my dad knows Kieran O'Hare and Liz Knowles, who are the piper and fiddler for this trio.  Seriously.  He is on a first name basis and is FaceBook friends with these people.

I'm getting to the point of why this story is in my pottery blog...

Dad wanted to buy a copy of their CD to give to Jeff and me, but Keiran insisted on giving him one.  I had just asked if they could take a credit card (I never have cash) and Dad hands me the CD.  All I could do was stand there with my mouth open looking like an idiot.  Trying to help me out, Dad said something about sending them some pottery or something sometime.  It just so happened that I had a box of new stuff in the car that I'd picked up earlier in the day.  So after the concert, I ran out and got each of them a mug.  Ooohing and aaahing ensued which I'm pretty sure was just them being polite.  Dad snapped this picture.


Liz Knowles , Pat Broaders, and me.  
(Kieran was talking to John Champney at the time.)

Then this morning as I was dragging myself around trying to wake up enough to get ready for work after being out way too late on a school night, I found the issue of Clay Times that came in yesterday's mail.  I started flipping through and found an article about procrastination which seemed pretty appropriate since I was having trouble moving myself in the direction of a shower.  I'm reading along and I see this:  

Ron's famous!  Maybe he was before and I just didn't realize it.  So I guess I've been rubbing elbows with famousness longer than I thought I had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment