You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Monday, September 22, 2014

Little things are important


I forgot to close the peeps.  (Smacks palm into forehead)

Peeps are little holes on the side of the kiln that (I suppose) one could peep in to look at things as the kiln fires.  For our purpose, they are holes that should be closed during the firing and then opened once it is done to help things cool off.  I forgot to close them.  I remembered the peeps sometime Saturday night, but by then it was too late to do anything about them.  

I don't know how much affect this had on the results of this firing, but I was very disappointed in some of my glazes.  Glazes that normally do not disappoint me.  So I'm blaming the darn open peeps.  On a positive note, nothing that I saw that belonged to others looked bad to me.  Hopefully I am the only disappointed potter this go around.  I have a fear that I will destroy someone else's work by doing something wrong when I'm the one loading the kiln.  

So I promised pictures....

Starting with some of the duds.  These are supposed to be a redish brown called ketchup red on the top.  I used this glaze on several things and they all came put a very yucky brown.  I could not stand to even take a picture of the big platter that I glazed in ketchup red.  All that work for ugly brown.  Sigh...


Some things turned out ok even it they weren't quite "right". 


I like the variation in color that I got here.  Clearly some areas got more glaze than others and I am OK with that.  Alright.  I'm trying to be OK with this.  


Good old floating blue.  A relatively consistent glaze.  Lighter areas are where the glaze overlapped.  I LOVE the leaves on this one.  


Mugs in tan and red that turned out nicely.  



Pretty darn happy with this casserole.  This one is tan, red, and blue.  The blue is on the side away from the camera.  I like the red and tan the best.  I think it is more interesting.  


I couldn't get a good shot of these mugs.  Red, blue, and green, and the overlap of red, blue, and green.  Not bad...


And the same glaze combination on a bowl.  


No comments:

Post a Comment