You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A compliment

I went to Ron Philbeck's kiln opening and fall sale yesterday.  Ron's got a new soda kiln that he built this summer.  Some VERY nice pieces came out of this firing.  I wanted several of them.  He's getting back to what I think of as "Ron Philbeck pots."  My dad has a lidded bowl with a blue bird as the handle on the lid that I have always loved.  I was happy to see some birds making a comeback in Ron's latest work.  



I don't think he realizes it but he paid me a very big compliment.  As he introduced me to another of his potter friends, he said, "Susan makes nice pots," and then went on to say that I am a math teacher at the community college.  Stop right there and let me take that in.  I was just described as a maker of nice pots and then as a teacher.  In my mind it's always been teacher first and then pottery was what I did to entertain myself in my spare time.  Interesting.  And cool.  There just might be a life for me after the teaching is done.  And also very cool that Ron thinks that I make nice pots.  

Inspired, I went back to the studio and made some baking dishes and mugs.  I made the canisters and  4 other mugs on Thursday and Friday.  So 3 canisters, 3 bakers, 1 random other lidded jar, and 9 mugs is the total for this week.  No wonder I need a nap.  






No comments:

Post a Comment