You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chugging Along


This week in pottery class, Ron showed us how to facet pots.  This was my most successful effort.  Believe it or not, I used a stretched out spring from a ball point pen to make the design.  If you pull the wire straight through, the spring will make stripes.  To get this effect, I gently moved the wire back and forth as I pulled through the clay.  The sides of the pot were vertical when I cut the facets.  After cutting the design, I pushed out from the inside (while it was turning) to create the curve.  This also caused the facets to twist a little which I think is really cool.

I can't wait to experiment more with this technique.  I didn't get a chance this weekend.  I have thus far been unable to reproduce the stretched out spring tool.  The one pen I have taken apart so far had a very wimpy little spring in it that seemed way too flimsy when I pulled it apart.  Warning to ball point pen users everywhere: your pens are not safe until I find the spring that I need.  I also had a pile of things that had to be glazed this weekend, so I took care of that instead of making new stuff.

In other good news, we learned that we will be making our classes up that we missed due to snow.  Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment