You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Saturday, February 15, 2014

More Snow and Some Cold

We got more snow this week.  A LOT more snow.  It started about mid-morning on Wednesday and Cleveland Community College closed at 11 am.  All day and night classes cancelled.  Oh well, there goes another pottery class.  As excited as this southern girl gets about seeing snow (yes, I stocked up on bread and milk earlier in the week), I would like to request that our next snow happen sometime other than the middle of the week.  We are 5 weeks into this class and have missed 2 nights!  Enough already.

While at home being snowed in, I caught a cold. I suppose it is a good thing that I could spend some time resting on the couch while feeling punk.  For this I am grateful.  Friday afternoon, I managed to get off the couch and the roads were clear enough to make it in to town to the studio.

The big project for this weekend was an oval platter.  I started by throwing the rim.  


The next morning, it had dried enough that I could cut this off the bat, sort of squish it into an oval shape and attach a slab for the bottom.  


I think I will probably try something different for texture on the bottom next time and I wish the sides were a little more flat, but its not too bad for a first try.  Does it need handles?  


Then because I saw it on a video this weekend and I was rolling out slabs anyway, I tried making one of these.  It is really different from anything else that I've done and was pretty fun to make.  What do you think?  If I make more of these trays, I'll need to figure out a way to make it more "mine."  This one is almost an exact copy of what the potter in the video made.







No comments:

Post a Comment