You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Large Pressed Form Vase

This week's project is a special order for a large vase.  To get the size that I want, I am assembling this vase in three pieces.

On the left in the picture above is the top of the vase.  This part was thrown.  The other two pieces, the center and bottom of the vase, are pressed forms.  To make a pressed form, I roll out a large slab, add texture, and then cut the slab into smaller pieces.  These small pieces are then pressed in to the form and allowed to dry.  I allow the seams to show and become part of the design.  Once all parts are leather hard, they are joined.  Handles are added last.  The assembled piece is pictured below.
The handles on this vase are pulled rather than cut from a slab, created from a coil, or extruded like I have done in the past.  Today was the first day that I have ever had any success pulling handles, and I am pleased to have managed to get two handles that match relatively well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment