You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Back in the Swing

It's always hard for me to get back into making pottery after I've had to take time off.  The problem with being a weekend potter is that anything that takes up time on weekends takes time away from pottery.  Earlier this month, I was out of town two weekends in a row.  The first to visit good friends that I don't get to see very often and the second for a math conference.  Both trips were good.  When I went back to the studio last week, I kind of wandered around a while before I figured out what it was I do there.

I finally got cranking on some soup mugs that I am making as a special order.  Little things like centering and opening are the first to go for me if I am not practicing regularly.  I managed to get some mugs done, but I wasn't really happy with them.  I had difficulty getting them to match.  It is amazing sometimes how I can take identically sized balls of clay and make mugs that vary so much in size and shape.  I will admit that I didn't notice the differences so much this weekend when I sanded them to get them ready for the bisque fire.  Maybe when they are fired and glazed, they will be ok.  Then again, I may decide that I have to start over and try again to get a set that match.

No comments:

Post a Comment