You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Numbers

About 450,480 AP Calculus exams were graded last week in Kansas City, Missouri.  Each exam has 6 different questions that must be scored by hand by people.  Are you counting?  That's a total of 2,702,880 questions.  I was right there with approximately 980 of my geeky, calculus loving friends.  We worked 8 hours a day for 7 straight days. Well, except for day #6 when we all stayed 1 hour later (so that's 9 hours) and day #7 when we all came in 30 minutes early (that's 8.5 hours) because we were behind.  It was hard, but I really didn't mind.  I'm hired to do a job.  That job is to work with this really huge team to get all those 2.7 million questions graded.  I'm not sure how many of those individual student exam questions I personally graded.  Most readers are trained to grade 3 different problems during the week.  I was lucky this year and was in a group that graded one of the "special" exams, so I was trained on 8 different questions.  I like that much better since it means that I was doing something different every day.

I came home on Friday, so I was back in the studio on Saturday.  I decided to make bowls.  In particular, I decided to work on making ONE bowl for friends.  It's hard to describe, but I've got to get a bowl that is just the right size to fit inside this metal rack.  The rack came with a bowl, but that one got broken and I'm trying to make them something new that will fit.  The rack thingy is pretty cool.

I stared out with 4 pounds and 5 pounds of clay.  I have 0 ideas about how to measure the size of the bowl that we need, so I thought that I'd make several and see what works in the end.  I wasn't sure if either of those would end up big enough, so I made a 6 pound bowl and a 7 pound bowl.  By that time, there was just a little bit of clay left in the bag that I opened (each bag has about 25 pounds), so I thought it would be cool to do a 3 pound bowl, a 2 pound bowl, and a 1 pound bowl.

Left to right starting in the back - 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.

Next I loaded a bisque fire.  A bisque fire goes to approximately 1940 degrees.  Lisa was kind enough to start the kiln when she left for the day.  This afternoon when I went in about 4 pm to check on things, the computer on the kiln showed me that it took just over 10 hours to fire and had cooled to about 565 degrees.  The studio itself was a very toasty 95 degrees since we turned the air conditioning off.  It just doesn't make sense to me to run the air to cool a space that no one is going to be in for more than 24 hours. I like for my utility bill to be as small a number as it can be!  I plan to unload tomorrow.  I've also got 7 bowls to trim and will need to work on glazing so that I can fire a glaze fire as soon as possible.  

Oh, by the way, it's officially summer now.  In between trips (I have 2 more places to go this summer), I'm going to be a professional potter for the next 8 weeks.  Happy Dance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment