You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, June 30, 2017

And Now For Something Completely Different

It is always a little weird to come back to the studio after I've been gone for a while.  We were at the beach last week with the Barry family.  Much fun was had.  After a week of fun in the sun and sand, I got back to my summer time job this week.  I was sort of struggling with motivation and inspiration when I got a text that inspired the bowls that you see below.

Yes, I know.  That's weird.  Let me explain...

I have a request from a customer for a yarn bowl.  She wants one that is large enough for a couple of different balls of yarn for when she is working with multiple colors, so there need to be several different holes or slots for the yard to go through.  I hope I got the bowls large enough.  It's kind of hard to know when I don't knit.  I figured that I would start with this and then if they are too small for what she needs, I'll do larger ones next time.

I started with this.

Then I cut the holes.

And then I don't know what happened, but these designs appeared.

Weird, right? 

Some more "normal" pieces got started this week too.  I was still struggling with what to do with myself and a returning customer came in looking for a bacon cooker.  She had bought one earlier in the spring and now wanted another to give as a gift.  I didn't have any on hand, so I made a couple.  I should probably do a couple more to have some inventory. 

These chalices are going to be the end of me.  This is the second set like this I've made.  In the first set, all three of them came apart as they dried.  I was frustrated and smashed them in the reclaim bucket.  It may surprise you, but I don't do very well when stuff doesn't work out the way I want it to.
This time around, two of the three came apart when they dried.  I held my temper and am trying to make them work anyway.  Keep your fingers crossed that these survive.  I am reminded why I don't really like to make these.  What a pain in the butt!

I unloaded the kiln right before we left for vacation.  Most of those pieces just sat on the shelves in the studio waiting for me to figure out where they were going to go.  Before packing up, I got out my light box and took some pictures.  I still have much to learn about photographing my work.

I think I need to crop this one.

What do you think about multiple pieces in one shot?

Mug anyone?

I like the dark background so much better than the white one. I also like this vase.

This one isn't bad either.

Super close up of a smallish mug.

Another close up of a small piece.

I'm about to go on another trip next week, so it may be a while before I have another pottery update.  This is an unusual summer.  I have had fun in Kansas City and in Corolla this month, and I am looking forward to our next adventure.  It will also be nice to be home afterward.  I don't feel like I've been home yet this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment