You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, March 3, 2017

A Glaze Fire, A Trip to Charlotte, and Some Canisters

We had a glaze fire this week!  I don't think it will ever get old for me to see everything that comes out of our kiln.  Here are some of the things that I had in this last bunch.

Happy egg separators! I love these.

Made some more "cake plates". They may look kind of boring, but imagine a big old yummy cake sitting on there.  Not boring anymore!  Plus they are small enough to fit inside one of those Rubbermaid cake carriers.

There are actually a lot more of these mugs.  I took this picture to show someone the color options. These are available at A Griffin Pottery Associates and I'll be dropping a few off at Buffalo Creek Gallery tomorrow too.

I started on a canister set on Thursday evening. I haven't done one of these in a long while, so I wasn't sure if I'd actually be able to make three things that "match." 

The first order of business for today was a trip to Carolina Clay Connection in Charlotte.  We needed clay, and I'm trying one more time to get the variegated base blue glaze that we want. Maybe third time is the charm?  I hunted around and found a recipe in Allen's files that might be it.  I don't know though. Mike at Carolina Clay said that he called it Susan Jones Blue in my file.  That makes me think that it is not a recipe that they've mixed up before.  If so, we will have yet another blue glaze.  The number of glazes in our studio is getting out of hand.

After unloading the car and moving 500 pounds of clay around to the places that it should be, I trimmed the lids and put on the knobs on the canisters.  I'm pretty pleased with them so far. There is definitely room for improvement, but I think these will be ok. 

 Here's a close up shot of the lid.

 What's this?
This is a whole bunch of clay and glazes that my friend Doby Wright gifted to me today.  She needed to clean out her basement studio to make room for other things in her life.  She was sweet enough to share with me.  It's been a while since Doby made any pottery, so everything is pretty dried out, but I think I'll be able to bring it back.  It will just take a while.  So that part earlier about the number of glazes getting out of hand?  Most of the glaze in these buckets is stuff we already have.  There's only a few new ones. And these are small buckets.  Surely I can find room for small buckets, right?  (I might have a problem.)

The Treasures of the Earth Pottery Show and Sale is still going on until Wednesday, Mar 15. The picture below was taken at the opening reception back in February.  Proof that I was there!  Also, in the striped sweater is my sister Carol.  She was home for a surprise visit that weekend and Dad and I talked her into going to the reception with us.  I miss Carol.  She lives far, far away and I don't get to see her enough.

Here are some pictures of my things that are still available at the Arts Council.




Is it nuts that I think that someone else's pictures are all better than mine? Perhaps it is the lack of back ground clutter and poor lighting?

No comments:

Post a Comment