You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Cool Visitors This Week

I didn't get a chance to update this blog last weekend.  It was girls weekend in Chicago and there was no pottery involved.  It was a nice break and we had a wonderful time.  I came home excited about a city I'd never visited before, tired from not quite enough sleep, and a little sad that I don't get to spend time with Liz, Melanie, and Jenni more often. 

Here's some photographic evidence from our Chicago trip.  The Bean in Millennium Park is a must see if you visit this city.

We had tons of fun with the Bean!  The reflections are so cool.  

 

After I got back, I fired a glaze fire on Monday.  I had just a few pieces (ha!).  Didn't get any close ups of them.  What was I thinking?  Anyway, there are some new things at Buffalo Creek Gallery and in my gallery at A Griffin Pottery.  If you are in the area, come check them out!  


I know that I worked in the studio every day last week, but I cannot tell you what I did.  Definitely was not the productive week that I had a few weeks ago where I made all that stuff.  I guess some of what I did was get all those pots from before ready for a bisque fire.  Loaded that up yesterday, so I'll have things to work on glazing next week.  Yay, glazing!!

I made a few mugs...these are inspired by Sheldon's Doppler Effect costume from The Big Bang Theory.

Something bad happened to the mug below.  Rather than smash it and start over, I let it be a pitcher.  Might turn out cool.  Might not.  


I mentioned visitors in the title above and haven't said anything about my visitors.  Things have been very quiet this month at our studio.  I think its just been too hot for people to be out walking around Shelby.  However, due to our location (I LOVE being in Uptown Shelby), I have had the privilege of meeting several interesting people who have stopped in recently.  

A mother daughter pair stopped in one morning.  The mother of this pair is (struggling with how to say this) a very mature woman and the daughter is probably 20 to 25 years younger.  They are distant relatives of Mr. Black. (Our building is the old Black's Service Station. I don't remember Black's Service Station, but many others do.) The younger of the two ladies told me that she remembered a Co-cola (pronounced the good, southern way) machine in the office that is now the gallery.  Mr. Black would get her a Co-cola and then sit her up on top of the counter so that she could see what was going on. She told me that she thought that Mr. Black would approve of how the building is being used now.  About that time, the chime on the door rang.  Nobody there.  Guess that was Mr. Black saying "Hi" this time.  Or it was Allen saying "Thanks".

On Saturday, there were a few folks who stopped in while I was there working on things.  Two couples were from out of town and had come to Shelby to explore and get something yummy to eat.  My last visitors yesterday were from Florida. They were on the way from Charlotte where they'd been visiting some family to Asheville.  They saw my studio through the window while they enjoyed lunch at Bar Celona across the street. As we talked, I discovered that they both had worked at Wake Forest University.  Small world!  We had a wonderful conversation about how exciting it is that Shelby and other towns are experiencing revitalization of down town areas.  We also talked about what has changed on campus since I was a student there.

Another one of my out of town visitors this week told me that I was "very interesting".  This person is from Oregon. That's not really important except that her sister, who lives here, made a point to bring her to my place to see the pottery.  VERY cool.  It's kind of funny to me how surprised people are when I tell them that I am a full time math teacher.  When I say that I teach, often they assume that I teach art.  Ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment