You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, June 19, 2016

You Know You Want To Sing

It's OK.  You can tell me.  Every time you see a big bowl you get that song running through your head.  "I like big bowls and I cannot lie. All those other potters can't deny..."  If I were more creative, I would have more than two lines.  It would also probably help to actually know the original song.

Everyone poses like this after throwing something big, right? 

I'm trying to make something large enough to use as a bread bowl for my friend Erin. These started out with around seven pounds of clay.  I'll see how much they'll hold after they are fired.  If I need to try for bigger, I will.  I've got to say though these are just about at the upper limit of what size I am capable of making.  Erin only needs one bowl, but I'll make two.  Always good to have an "insurance piece" when working on a special order. 


It was time to defrost the refrigerator.  I know this was true because the door kept freezing shut.  I decided that must be a sign that I actually needed to do something about that huge chunk of ice. 


It was really nice on Saturday, so I had the air conditioner off and the doors and windows open.  We put that big chunk of ice to good use.  


I also glazed these pots this week.  These are the last things that Allen made before he was too sick to work.  He gave directions on how he wanted them glazed. I followed those directions exactly on three of them.  The fourth one is sold already and the purchaser requested a different color to match their house.  (I feel like I need to explain why I did something else with that one on the right.  Is that weird?)  We've all been looking at those pieces for months now.  It took me until this week to feel ready to glaze them. It was kind of emotional and I'm glad I was alone.  I'm also a little scared that they won't come out right.  Man, I hope I didn't mess them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment