You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Monday, September 7, 2015

Slowly But Surely


For once, I had glazed pots to take home instead of pots to glaze when I managed to get back to the studio after my crazy couple of weeks.  


I also made a few things.  Two sets of mugs, a couple of lidded jars, and a couple of tall vase/utensil holder thingies. 


My work is featured in the window at Buffalo Creek Gallery this month.  Very cool looking display if I do say so myself.


More mugs...


That's two more sets if you are counting.


Over the past two weeks I've made 4 different sets of mugs each with a very different shape.  I thought it was interesting to see them all together.


Then I made a couple of pitchers.  These are both relatively small. This white textured one was about 2 pounds of clay.


This brown one was closer to 3 pounds I think.  Maybe it was two and a half. It's a little bigger than the white one.  I did something completely new with altering the shape here.  I think I like it.  You may see more of this in the future.


Then I got moving on making a mask.  This is the first effort.  I was NOT at all excited about this project and had put it off for a while, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and do things that you don't think will be all that fun.  But it wasn't bad, so I made another one.


I'm "cheating" and using a plaster mold that we have.  In the picture above you see the mold and the slab.  Don't ask me how we got that mold.  It has been in the studio ever since I started hanging out up there.  I suspect that it involved someone putting their face in plaster which is absolutely terrifying, so surely it didn't happen that way.  Maybe I should ask.


Now the slab in pressed into the mold textured side down.  Next I trimmed off the extra clay and let it sit in the wet closet over night.


After it dried to leather hard and I took it out of the mold, this is what I had.  If good things happen with these later on, I will update you.  If they are complete disasters, you may never see them again.  Does anyone else see Abe Lincoln?  Holy Cow!  I know Abe didn't show up one day and get Allen to shove his face in a box of plaster.  Yes.  I need to find out the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment