You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Last Week's Firing


I have learned that whatever picture is first in a blog post is what shows up on Facebook when I share the link.  So that's why those utensil holder/vases are first. The texture did nice things with the glaze didn't it?  Very pleased.  


Here's a shot of everything that was fired last week.  I had to stand on a stool to get up high enough to get them all in one picture.  


A close up of one of the two red crackle bowls.  This is such an interesting look I think.


Another bowl in one of my favorite glaze combinations.  It almost always does what I expect it to.  I love how the tan glaze is darker next to where the red overlapped it.  Cool.  



More texture.  I decided that this glaze was a little bit too thick, so I thinned it out a bit before I used it again.  What?  I didn't mention that I had more glazing to do last weekend?  Well, I did.  I don't know who keeps making all these pots.  It certainly doesn't feel like I'm working all that hard.  But for 3 weeks straight, I had piles of glazing to do.  As you know, glazing is my favorite part of making pottery.  <sarcasm>


I had 6 mugs in all this stuff.  Two each of the glaze combinations that are shown here.  They all turned out nicely.  No surprises.  


Ah!  The lidded casseroles.  This green and tan one looks very nice, doesn't it?  Unfortunately the top cracked as it was cooling.  Very weird and I have no idea why that happened.  I can't sell that piece.  Jeff was very excited when I brought it to the kitchen and told him that we get to keep this one.  That cracked lid might never be a problem, but it might break the very first time that it is used.  If so, then I'll have a casserole without a lid.  Bummer.  


This one didn't crack, but the lid warped just enough in the kiln that it doesn't fit well anymore.  I wasn't happy with that development because everything else is great about the piece.  Plus, those casseroles are a LOT of work.  I was very bummed to have both of them flawed after working so hard on them.  I do have this one for sale, but I priced it lower than I would normally.  So if you want a deal, check it out at Buffalo Creek Gallery!  

No comments:

Post a Comment