You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer Gets Shorter Every Year

It's been a while since I last logged in here...two months goes by in the blink of an eye.  Here I am with only one week left before I return to work on July 14.  As usual, I've been gone a lot.  I took a trip to Pennsylvania to see my sister, a trip to Kansas City to grade Advanced Placement Calculus exams, and a trip to the beach with the family and my summer is gone.  In between trips, I did make a little bit of pottery, but I was less than disciplined about photographing it and I sure didn't want to turn on the computer.

Today I actually remembered to grab my phone and snap a couple of pictures of what I was working on.  I think I remembered because it was something I'd never done before...GOBLETS.  Why goblets you ask?  Because Allen made some and I thought they looked really cool.  So I decided that I needed to see if I could do it too.


I started by throwing the cups and stems separately.  I used about a pound and a half for each cup and a pound for each stem.  


Next I trimmed the cups so that they fit inside the top of the stems, and then joined them.
You have to make sure that they are level.  


And there we are.  Three goblets that may or may not survive the drying/firing process.

They were pretty dry when I got back to them this morning, so I'm a little worried about the joints coming apart.  I also cracked the rim of one of the cups when I put on on the wheel to trim the bottom, so that one might not live.  

Since this was the first time I'd ever done this, I made NO EFFORT at all to make pieces that match.  This exercise was about figuring out if I could do this.  And I can...and it was fun.  It will be interesting to see what size they end up when they are finished. Right now, they are good sized, but they will shrink a good bit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment