You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Follow Up

I wanted to try to make something that put together several of the new things that I've learned this semester.  A lidded jar with facets seemed like just the trick.  


In the picture above, I have trimmed the foot.  The clay was really pretty wet today (thank you rain)--almost too wet to trim, but I made it work.  When you only have so much time to work on pottery, you have to force some things even if it is not ideal.  I tried something with this foot that is a little bit different.    

Is that a ruffle?  Surely not.  I don't do ruffles.  I'm not sure that I would do this again, but I saw a picture of something like this recently and wanted to try it.  Here's the piece right side up with the lid on.  


I'm going to have to work on it a little more to get the lid to fit better, but I'll wait for it to dry before I mess with it anymore.  I felt like I had pushed my luck enough for one day.  

I also had some stuff to glaze.  I didn't take any pictures of that.  Glazing it not exciting.  But while I waited for one glaze to dry before putting on another layer of color I threw a round baking dish.  


I let the dish and handles (those strips laid out over pill bottles) dry some while Jeff and I went to the in-laws to eat.  Yum.  After lunch (and before the nap that always happens when I've eaten at the Jones's) I put it together.  


I can't ever decide the best angle for a picture of this kind of dish.  No matter what I do, something looks weird.


Note the continued attempt to build substantial handles.  I want them to be interesting as well as functional.  As long as they stay on, they will be functional.  I'm not so sure that I've hit on interesting yet.  With the rain today, nothing dried as much as it normally would, so this piece was still VERY wet and mushy when I put it together.  I did my best to not distort it or leave too many finger marks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment