You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Remembering Things That I Used To Know


 Allen was working on some pots yesterday and I watched him make the lids.  I've done lids like this before, but it's been a long time and I had forgotten some of it.  Its always good to watch someone else throw.  Even when they are doing things I'm pretty comfortable with, I still pick up something new.  In this case, I was reminded of the steps in a relatively complicated process.

I decided to give it a try today.  The picture at the left shows the pot and the lid (before it is finished of course).  The perspective is a little weird, so I put the coffee cup in the picture to give you an idea how big it is.  The bottom was 4 pounds and the lid was about 1.5 pounds.



I realize now as I'm thinking about how to describe the process, that I need more pictures.  (Anyone want to guess what my next post will be?)

The lid is thrown upside down.  The flange will fit down inside the jar.  If I've measured correctly, it will be a snug fit.  Since I need to finish this tomorrow, I covered everything plastic so it wouldn't dry too much.  Since it poured rain all day today, the plastic probably was unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

Tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures of the steps and of the "finished" piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment