You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, March 29, 2019

How Was The Show?

How was your show?  That is kind of a loaded question.  How does one define a good show?  Is it in sales?  Is it in how exhausted you are when you finally get back home?

For the past two years, I have not really known how to respond to that question after the Catawba Valley Pottery Show. It was a good show in that it is generally very well organized and run. Jeff and I enjoy ourselves eating dinner with other potters on Friday night before the Preview Party and visiting with folks who attend.  I sell some pottery that I wouldn't if I didn't participate. 

So what's my deal then?  Why do I not feel like I can say this was a good show for me?  Both years, I've felt like it was an OK show, but not a great one.  The biggest thing is that it is expensive.  The booth fee is high (compared to others that I do), the charge to have electricity is high, and it requires a night in a hotel for us because of the late night Friday coupled with the relatively early start on Saturday morning.  I briefly considered not getting the hotel room this time, but good sense won out. That Friday afternoon post set up nap in the hotel was critical to my health this year.

When I can get the money thing out of my head, I can say that it was a good show.  We had a good time.  We got there early enough on Friday that set up should have been a relaxed, enjoyable thing. We finished setting up early enough to go get a bite to eat, find a Michael's to purchase that extra plate stand that I didn't bring, and we were checked into the hotel early enough for me to get a nap and for Jeff to watch Gardner-Webb scare the snot out of Virginia in the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.  I slept pretty well Friday night, so I started Saturday rested.  Things seemed to go smoothly during the day, and we were packed up and driving home by an hour after the end of the show.

Jeff took some pictures...
If you provide them a vase to use, the volunteers will fill it with fresh flowers.  I NEVER have flowers, so this is very nice for me.

Setting up...

I had to wait to put stuff out on the shelves until the convention center people finished dropping the power for my booth.  That should have been done the day before.  I was annoyed.

The right side of the booth.


The back of the booth.

The left side of the booth. 
(I have no idea what happened on the left edge of this picture. Weird.)

Evidence that Jeff was actually there with me.

I also remind myself that somethings you do because they are good exposure. In my mind, this show counts in that category.  So did I have a good show?  Yes.  I think so.  I would still like for my sales to be higher, but considering everything, it was a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment