You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Still Not Doing Much

I have to spend more time these days just sitting.  It annoys me, but I have figured out how to use the time that I am forced to sit with my foot elevated more effectively.  YouTube videos.  The main issue with watching videos on YouTube is that I then want to try to make ALL the pots on the video.  New ideas are good and I've been feeling a little stale in what I've made recently.

Here is the best effort from the weekend inspired by a Bill van Gilder video.

Let me back up a bit and tell you how I got there.  I went to the studio on Thursday afternoon after work like the schedule at the studio says that I will.  Sort of anyway.  I was almost an hour late because I couldn't get enough done at work to feel like I could leave.  It is just that kind of a semester. Things will improve after Nov 21, but for now, I am completely overwhelmed and swamped.  I was tired when I got there, and I tried to throw.

I made this.

I decided that I really didn't need to be there, so I went home and sat in my chair with my foot up.  I opened up YouTube on my iPad and stumbled across a video from Bill van Gilder.  Bill is a very accomplished potter who also has a gift for explaining what he is doing.  (If you would like to check out his YouTube channel, you can find it here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/vangilderpottery  There is also a nice website at https://www.vangilderpottery.com/)

Every time I watch another potter work, I learn something.  Every. Single. Time.  Ron Philbeck shared a video on FaceBook this week of the technique he uses to glaze the inside of cups (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5_1dakEWn4&feature=youtu.be).  Now I've got something to try when I need to glaze cups.  He uses a wrist twist that makes pouring the glaze out while getting all the inside covered look effortless.  When I do it, it is awkward and messy.  

By Friday afternoon when I was able to get back to the studio (I was late AGAIN), I was ready to try some of the things from the van Gilder videos.  The pot at the top of the page here is the one that turned out the best, but I did make a couple others that were OK.  

This is small, but if I can do this again on a much larger cylinder, 
it would make an awesome utensil holder.  

This casserole was round and then I squared the sides. 

I had tried this in the past with limited success.  This time, it was better.  The handles are van Gilder inspired also.  I was using up some white clay that I've had for a while.  I can't wait to try some of these things with some nice and soft speckled brownstone.  

A couple of weeks ago, I shared pictures of the communion set that I made for the church.  I got a picture this morning of some of the pieces on the beautiful communion table.  Last time I shared, there was a cloth covering up the inlaid wood detail on the table. 

I spent some time yesterday, dusting and rearranging my pots in the gallery at the studio.  I also put out some new pieces.  If you are in Shelby and happen to be passing by when we are open (The goal is: Tues 12-4, Thurs 12-6, Fri 2:30-5, Sat 10-2), please stop in and see what's there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment