You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Treasures of the Earth

I've been busy.  The Treasures of the Earth Pottery Show and Sale at the Cleveland County Arts Council opens this week.  The opening reception is 5:30-7:30 on Thursday, February 16 at the Arts Council.  This show stays up for a month, so if you can't get by on Thursday night for the reception, make plans to come in sometime in the next few weeks and check it out.  There are a lot of new potters this year, so there will be some new work to enjoy and maybe purchase.

Last weekend, I managed to get a glaze fire done and this weekend has been all about packing up and getting ready for the show.

Here are some of the pieces that came out of the glaze fire...

I'm pleased with how this ended up. I had to fire it twice though.  The ash glaze on the top of the piece was absolutely awful after the firing.  Believe it or not, I dipped the top part in blue and re-fired it.  

Some spoon rests.  I broke the spoon rest at our house the sits next to the coffee pot recently.  I took one of the ones in the middle row that are kind of red/brown and white home to replace it.

White "wine mugs"

Tan "wine mugs"

A few blue/gray mugs.

Bacon cookers.  There's a red one hiding back there behind the others.

Utensil holder

Big green bowl.  This one has some texture on the outside.


Something I tried that's new.  Footed cups.

Getting ready for this particular show involves setting up at home to make sure that the things that I've decided to take will fit on the shelves.  Then I have to number each piece for the inventory sheet that the Arts Council requires and pack it up in boxes.


It wasn't all about packing up this weekend.  I also finished some pieces that were commissioned.  

These took a while for me to figure out.  The first few times I tried to make these soup cups, it didn't go well.  There are eight of these and the customer will pick them up later.

Another new thing for me in recent weeks - pie plates.  The customer requested one to replace a piece that she had used for years and recently broken.  I made three and will let her choose the one that she likes the best.  Then the others will go either to the gallery at A Griffin Pottery Associates or at Buffalo Creek Gallery. 

We have had some unseasonably warm weather recently. Saturday is was beautiful and in the mid 70's.  I love it when I can get work dried outside so that I can finish it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment