You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, September 9, 2011

This week I am trying to make something new...a chip and dip.

I started Thursday night by throwing a wide, low, flat bottomed bowl and a small bowl.  Then I folded one side of the large bowl down flat.  That was really HARD to do the first time.  The actual folding was not difficult, but  it was hard to "smush" a side of a perfectly good bowl.  Then I put the pieces in the wet closet over night.

Friday about lunchtime, I returned to the studio to join the bowls.  I trimmed the bottom of the small bowl to clean it up a little bit and then scored the surfaces of both pieces where they will be attached. Then I added slip and pressed the pieces together.  I was worried about about trapping air in between the bowls since the joint is such a large area, so I really worked hard to press them together well.

So far, I am pleased with the result.  I would like the large bowl to be wider I think.  This will be something to work on.  Opening wide is not easy for me.

It will be interesting to see what other challenges I face before these are finished.  I imagine that sanding these is going to be fun. (NOT!)  Glazing will be interesting too with those tight spaces.

1 comment:

  1. Omg...that's amazing! I love to watch you grow as a potter, just as I love to watch you grow as a teacher and techie! You, Susan, are amazing!

    ReplyDelete