You can often find me here

You can often find me here

Friday, May 6, 2011

Disaster!

Sometimes bad things happen even when you are careful.  The lid on the largest of the 3 cannisters that I made a while back self destructed while I was getting it ready to glaze last night.

I must not have attached the handle on the top of that lid very well.  I had just dipped the lid in hot wax to coat the bottom edge (to keep glaze off the part that would be in contact with the shelf in the kiln when it is fired) and was holding it over the wax to drip when it let go.  SPLASH!   Into the wax went the lid.  It didn't break when it fell which is a good thing, but wax went everywhere.

Sometimes things just don't go the way I plan.  My first reaction is still to trash the offending piece, but I am learning (with Allen's help) to salvage things.  It is difficult to think about throwing away a piece that already has so many hours of time invested in it.

So I now must go to plan B on that cannister set.  First of all, the "broken" lid will need to be re-bisqued to remove the wax from the places I didn't want it.  Then I'll probably have to fire the handle separate from the lid and try to re-attach it afterward. This also means that I need to do something different with the glaze than I originally planned.  I have some time to consider that since I won't be glazing this until after the next bisque fire.

*SIGH*

Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment